Review: The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart

|
The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart
Hardback, First Edition
Release Date: March 22nd 2005 from Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Pages: 240
Best enjoyed by: Females, Ages 13+
Rating: B

-

Life’s definitely not easy for Ruby Oliver. In ten days time, she’s been shunned by her friends, lost her boyfriend, and has become a social pariah. To make matters worse, Ruby has to see a shrink to talk about her problems. But Doctor Z doesn’t seem of much help when she asks Ruby to compose a list of all the boys in her life and said list gets copied and distributed throughout the school. Armed only with her talent for making lists, Ruby has to get through her sophomore year, prove her new reputation as a slut false, and maybe win everyone back.

-

Two months ago I reviewed The Boyfriend List, but two things happened. The first was that I received the third Ruby Oliver book in the mail (more on that later) and the second was that I was dissatisfied with my original review. So now I’m redoing it.

The Boyfriend List is basically a collection of short stories about different boys Ruby has known, but most chapters also have what is going on in the present. At times it was hard for me to switch back and forth so quickly, but other times it was interesting to read about the version Ruby knew of the boy and compare him to the boy he is now.

Ruby’s narration was very realistic, as was the dialogue, and she felt like a real teenage girl. The one thing I couldn’t understand about Ruby was her obsession with Jackson. He’s obviously a major jerk. He dumps her for her best friend! Ag.

As I said before, one of the reasons I wanted to redo this review was because of the third Ruby Oliver book, The Treasure Map of Boys. I got an ARC of this book in July and loved it. I was so amazed by how much more developed the book was than its predecessors. Ruby became an even better character and the plot was great. Wondering what had changed, I reread the other two books and found them to be much better than my initial reaction.

The Boyfriend List is a fun read with a very realistic narrator and rings true to most high school girls. Recommended to teen girls, especially if you liked the Georgia Nicolson books.

Additional Links:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts -- good or bad, so let me know what you think below!